A “base salad” with endless serving possibilities.
Make a big batch on Sunday and turn it into a Buddha bowl, add on top of your avo toast or eat on top of a cracker with cottage cheese etc. Best part? All but your tomatoes and lemon come from your pantry. Serves 2
- 1 ½ cans (600g) chickpeas
- 1 tsp (5ml) smoked paprika
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Glug of olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 900g assorted tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) harissa paste or sundried tomato pesto
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) sherry or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil blend
- Handful of basil and chopped dill
- Green leaves (rocket, watercress, pea shoots etc. of your choice)
- Cottage cheese for serving (optional)
Let’s get cooking:
- Combine chickpeas, spice, seasoning, lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil, tossing to coat evenly. Toast mixture in a pan over high heat, roast in the air fryer or roast in the oven preheated at 200°C for 15-20 minutes until crisp.
- Place tomatoes and roasted chickpeas, including any pan juices, in a bowl.
Whisk together remaining ingredients to mix evenly, then toss through salad and season.
Keep refrigerated for up to 5 days, serving with greens and cottage cheese if you like.
Make it for muscle building: Add sliced paprika or chilli spiced fish, chicken, steak or tofu to make it a bulkier meal.
Bon appetit! Browse our blog for other tasty and healthy recipes now.