Fritters are you friend. It’s a simple grate + mix + fry = dinner!
The toppings for these fritters are endless – you can almost think of it as a sandwich loaf where you can put just about anything on it! You can even roll into balls to make bites for your snack box tomorrow. Serves 2.
- 1 cup (250ml) grated green veg (we used baby marrow and broccoli)
- ½ cup (125ml) grated sweet potato
- ½ cup (125ml) very thinly shredded green cabbage
- ¼ punnet (5g) of each coriander and mint, chopped
- ½ red onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ tsp (3ml) finely chopped or grated garlic and ginger
- ½ cup (125ml) cooked quinoa
- 1 cup (150ml) cake or wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cumin salt and milled pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sesame seeds (optional)
- 3 eggs, whisked (or use flax-egg if vegan)
- 80-100g halloumi cheese, grated
- Olive or canola oil for frying
- Labneh, plain yoghurt, ricotta, or cottage cheese for topping
Let’s get cooking:
- Combine all ingredients, except flour, in a bowl and toss to distribute evenly.
- Sprinkle over four and toss to create a thick batter.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry ¼-cup dollops of batter to make small fritters or use a 12cm pan to make 2 large fritters, like we did.
- Fry for 4-6 minutes a side over medium heat, then flip over and fry for another 5 minutes. IF making large fritters, cover with a lid to create steam and make sure inside is cooked through too.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Serve warm with topping of choice. Kimchi, avocado and sliced radish, or with sautéed garlicky greens (such as green beans, asparagus and edamame).
Enjoy this tasty and healthy recipe and more with Virgin Active.