Virgin Active knows that you care how information about you is used and shared and we appreciate your trust in us to do that carefully and sensibly. This policy describes the types of personal information that we may collect about you, the purposes for which we use the information, the circumstances in which we may share the information and the steps that we take to safeguard the information to protect your privacy.
- Any personal information provided to or gathered by Virgin Active is controlled by Virgin Active South Africa (Pty) Limited, whose registered office is at 3rd Floor, MontClare Place, Cnr Main & Campground Rd, Claremont 7708, Cape Town, South Africa and/or Virgin Active Botswana, whose registered office is at Plot 67978, Mokolwane House, Fairgrounds, Gaborone Botswana. A number of suppliers act as data processors on behalf of us from time to time
What personal information does Virgin Active collect?
- The information we collect from our members help us to continually improve your experience at Virgin Active. This personal information may include - your name and contact information; ID/passport number; date of birth; preferred communication methods; bank details and credit card details. We also create information that becomes part of the personal information we hold about you, such as your membership number and your usage of the club. We also collect the following information:
- Special personal information The term "special personal information" in this context refers to information relating to your religious or philosophical beliefs, race or ethnic origin, trade union membership, political opinions, health, sexual life or criminal behaviour. Whilst we do not generally collect special personal information unless it is volunteered by you, we do specifically collect health data to the extent that it is required to assess your readiness for physical exercise. We will use health information provided by you exclusively to serve you better and meet your particular needs. By providing this information to us, you are consenting to our using it in the manner set out in this policy.
- Personal information about children We do not knowingly collect personal information from children (under 18 years of age) without the permission of their parent or guardian. As a parent or guardian, please do not to allow your children to submit personal information without your permission.
- Photographs for your Virgin Active membership card. In the interests of security and the prevention of crime, we take a digital photograph of each member to whom a membership card is issued. By providing the digital photograph to us, you are consenting to our using it in the manner set out in this policy
- Contacting us via our Website or otherwise. When you use the www.virginactive.co.za website (our "Site") or any Virgin Active mobile application or contact us by post, telephone, fax, email, SMS or BBM, we collect, store and use certain personal information that you disclose to us. This includes details such as your name, address, telephone, fax, email and mobile phone number as well as traffic data, location data, web logs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access. If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We use CCTV in our clubs for health and security reasons. If you have any queries in relation to the use of CCTV operating in and around our clubs please contact us.
- Surveys We may ask you to complete surveys for research purposes from time to time, although you do not have to respond to them
What do we do with personal information collected from you?
- We use personal information to provide the services you request from Virgin Active such as to facilitate staff administration, administration of your membership, facilitate bookings of classes and appointments with our own or third party service providers and other transactions. We may also use the information to advertise products and services, to process payments and maintain accounts and records, to prevent crime and aid in the prosecution of offenders, and to administer and maintain membership records. In addition, we use this information to improve our membership and customer services platform, prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our website and enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf. We also use your details to send you newsletters and promotions, and to conduct online surveys or surveys by telephone; prize draws; competitions and other promotions via email, telephone or post. We will also use the information in the course of collecting your membership fees and any other payments that may be due to us from you.
What about Cookies?
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our Site according to your individual interests
- To speed up your searches
- To recognise you when you return to our Site
5.Does Virgin Active Limited share the information it receives?
- Information about our members is an important part of our business and we do not sell it to others. Virgin Active shares member information only as described below. If you have joined us via a Corporate Medical Aid rewards programme, you consent to us sharing your information with the relevant Corporate.
6. How secure is information about me?
- We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personally identifiable information. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
7. What about links to other websites?
8. What choices do I have?
9. Notices and revisions: