See also: Classic Club Rules
The Rule Book
Before you spring into action, there are a few things we'd like to point out in the interests of your security, safety and overall health and to ensure you have a good time at our Clubs.
Everyone at Virgin Active must play by The Rule Book (“Rules”). The Rules aren't just any old rules - they're part of your official Virgin Active Contract and have been carefully prepared by our legal guys. So please take a moment to familiarise yourself with them.
Who should play by the Rules?
All members, guests, tenants, contractors, visitors and staff must play by the Rules. Individual Clubs may also display their own operational rules, with which you must also comply.
If you do not comply, we may ask you to leave the Club, deny you Club access or (if it's really serious) we may cancel your membership.
The odd change
We may change these Rules occasionally but we’ll be sure to let you know if we’re going to do so by updating our website www.virginactive.co.za. Please look out for any changes that may be implemented.
From the get-go
- All members must fill in a Health Screening Questionnaire before using our Club facilities for the first time. If you are found to be high risk, we will ask you to give us a medical clearance certificate before we allow you access.
- Before you begin exercising, ensure you have fully completed our in-house member induction programme.
- Just to be safe, please check with your healthcare provider before you start a new fitness programme. You should have a physical exam to see if you have any health risks.
- We recommend that you spend 10 minutes warming up your muscles before starting any type of exercise. If you jump straight in, you risk damaging your muscles and/or straining your heart.
- Carry a towel and remain well hydrated while exercising. If you experience acute pain, dizziness, a sudden headache or chest pain, stop exercising immediately and inform a staff member. You could hurt yourself if you ignore the pain.
- Please let us know if there are any changes in your medical condition.
General club use
- We know it might be hard to tear yourself away, but please enter and leave the Club punctually at the times displayed at the Club entrance, which may vary from Club to Club.
- Pets (other than guide dogs) are not permitted.
- Firearms or other weapons are not permitted anywhere on the Club premises (unless the weapon is in the possession of an on-duty police officer or security official who is on official police/security business in the club. Police officers/security officials who are utilising any facility or equipment in the Club are on the premises as a member and may not bring a weapon into the Club).
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the Club premises.
- You may not take any photographs or videos.
- You may not bring alcohol or drugs into our Clubs.
- You may not sell and/or market any product or service to other members while in our Clubs.
- You consent to us using your image if taken during photo shoots of Club facilities.
- The use of Virgin Active’s name or logo for promotional, marketing, advertising or any other activity is prohibited.
- Our internet café computers are available for use by you, subject to the terms and conditions of Virgin Active’s Computer, Internet and Wifi Policy and Procedure for Members, which can be found at www.virginactive.co.za/computer_usage. Junior members under 14 should be supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) at all times. Priority must be given to adults.
- An access card will be issued to you when you join.
- All members must have their photograph taken for the access card - so make sure you’re looking good.
- Every time you enter our Clubs please present your access card to be swiped by our receptionist.
- Please report a lost or stolen card to your nearest Club and we’ll organise a new one for you and charge you the replacement card fee.
- If you come to a Club without your access card you will be asked for your ID number. We only allow entry with your ID number three consecutive times, after which a new access card will be issued to you at the going rate. You’ve been warned!
- No one else may use your access card (not even your twin brother or sister).
- We won’t let you into our Clubs if your membership fees aren’t up to date or if we have terminated or suspended your membership or if you have frozen your membership.
If you bring a mate
- At our discretion, you may bring guests to train with you upon payment of the guest fee/redemption of a promotional voucher and completion of the Guest Register.
- All guests must play by the Rules.
- You must accompany your guests at all times, be responsible for their behaviour and make sure they play by the Rules.
- Listen up. We take a zero tolerance approach towards the use, sale or endorsement of any form of illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs (including steroids or any other substances) on Club premises or in the parking area.
- Any allegations, suspicions and/or evidence of infringement of this rule gives us the right to cancel or suspend your membership at our absolute discretion. No ifs or buts.
- You may not enter the Club or use the facilities while under the influence of alcohol, illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs or supplements (including steroids).
- You must not use foul, loud, offensive or abusive language (and/or including, without limitation, discriminatory language based on an individual’s race, ethnic or social origin, colour, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion or disability).
- You must not commit any acts of intimidation or threats, or use menacing behaviour towards other members, guests, visitors, tenants or members of staff.
- You must not verbally, physically or sexually abuse or harass, or use violent behaviour towards other members, guests, visitors, tenants or members of staff.
- You must not commit any unhygienic or immoral act or acts which may cause distaste, revulsion or abhorrence to other members, guests, visitors, tenants or members of staff.
- You will have to pay for any damage caused by you, your dependants and your guests while in the Club.
- Only one individual in a shower cubicle at any one time please.
What (not) to wear
- Suitable and appropriate exercise clothing must be worn at all times while exercising in a Club. T-shirts/vests (no bare chests please guys) and closed footwear (no slops/sandals) must be worn at all times (except in the wet areas).
- If you are unsure of what to wear, please ask a staff member.
- Parking is only for members and guests while using Club facilities. Where applicable, members are liable for any parking fees that may be due.
- Please park in designated parking bays and do not use the disabled parking bays or the "Moms and tots" parking bays if you are not entitled to do so. If your car is not parked properly, it may be clamped and a fee charged for its release. Sorry guys.
- It goes without saying, but please do not leave valuables visible inside your vehicles. Store your keys in a locked valuables locker.
- Just remember, all vehicles are parked and driven at your own risk. We do not accept responsibility for any loss, theft and/or damage to vehicles and/or valuables left in vehicles or any other mode of transport of members or their guests whilst on Club premises or in any parking area designated for use by members or their guests.
Locker and personal belongings
- Subject to availability, lockers are provided in the changerooms to store your gear while you train and smaller valuables lockers are also provided for your valuables (such as your wallet, keys, sunglasses, cell phone, etc). Please bring two high quality padlocks (one for your valuables locker and one for your locker in the changeroom). We do not undertake that the use of a locker or valuables locker will guarantee that theft of or damage to your property will not occur. Please check that your personal insurance policy covers you for loss of personal effects. We do not accept responsibility for any loss or theft of money or loss or damage to personal property of members or their guests whether locked in a locker or otherwise.
- Do not leave your belongings unattended in the changerooms or anywhere else in the Club at any time and report any lost item immediately to a staff member. Placing all your belongings in a locked locker limits potential loss and is considerate to other members requiring access to bench space in the changerooms.
- Lockers may only be used for keeping gym kits, toiletries and the clothing that you were wearing when you came to the Club. If we have reasonable grounds for thinking that a locker is being used for the storage of something else, we may open the locker and remove any offending items.
- Lockers are available for use only while you’re in the Club. Any belongings left in a locker overnight will be removed and placed in lost property.
- Any belongings so removed or left unattended will be available at lost property at your Club for 14 days. If you do not collect them within this time, we will donate them to charity.
Equipment and the training floor
- Please use the equipment for its intended purpose and follow the instructions provided. Do ask for help if you need it.
- Please inspect equipment before use and do not use the equipment if it appears damaged and/or inoperable or any component appears to be missing, worn and/or damaged. We need to know, so please report damaged equipment to a staff member.
- Please use all available safety devices on the equipment.
- When using strength equipment be sure that the weight pin is completely inserted. Never pin the weight stack in an elevated position (you’ll soon find out why). Inspect all cables, straps and other connections prior to use.
- Please do not use dumbbells or any other equipment, other than equipment specifically provided by the manufacturer, to incrementally increase weight resistance on strength equipment. If unsure, please ask for help from a staff member.
- Before stepping onto a treadmill, please ensure that the belt has come to a complete stop. Never jump off the treadmill while the belt is still moving - it could be nasty.
- Please be gentle. Handle weights and equipment with care and replace after use.
- While completing a circuit, be a sport and move with the timer and use the equipment in numerical order.
- Please observe the time limits if specified on equipment so that everyone gets the chance to use it.
- No food, drinks or bags are allowed on the training floor, with the exception of plastic water bottles and sports drinks.
- Please use a sweat towel at all times and use the disinfectant spray and paper towels available to wipe equipment after use.
Studio and floor classes
- Some classes may need to be pre-booked or may have maximum head-counts. Class timetables and instructors may change from time to time without notice too. Please check the Club notice boards for all the latest details.
- Please arrive a few minutes early for a class as you may not be allowed to join in if you are more than five minutes late. If you do arrive a few minutes late, please ensure you have warmed up.
- Junior members under the age of 14 may not participate in classes (with the exception of age-appropriate programmes/classes being led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional)
- Please read the warnings and observe the guidelines displayed in writing near the power plate equipment and consult a doctor if you are concerned about your health risks prior to using the equipment.
- Power plate classes are offered and recommended, however you may use the power plate at your own convenience (scheduled group classes, led by an instructor, will take priority over individual users).
- You may need to pre-book for power plate classes.
- Please use a sweat towel and use the disinfectant spray and paper towels available to wipe equipment after use.
- Junior members under the age of 16 years may not use the power plate.
- 50% of the indoor cycles are available for pre-booking, up to one week in advance. Your place might be given to someone else if you are not checked in within five minutes prior to the start time and seated on your cycle before the class begins, so it’s important to arrive promptly.
- The remaining 50% will be available for bookings 30 minutes before the start of the class.
- You may book your indoor cycle online or in person at the Club Reception.
- Only one indoor cycle may be booked per member.
- Once the class is fully booked, there will be a short waiting list available outside the studio. Please use a sweat towel and use the disinfectant spray and paper towels available to wipe the indoor cycles after use.
- If necessary, check that your shoelaces are securely tied and tuck long pants into your socks to prevent any interference with the pedals.
- Junior members under the age of 14 may not participate in indoor cycling classes.
Boxing and kettlebells
- Observe the space around you when using the boxing equipment and kettlebells to avoid causing harm to other members.
- For your own protection, wear protective hand wraps and gloves when using a boxing bag.
- Boxing and kettlebell classes are offered and recommended, however you may use the equipment at your own convenience (scheduled group classes, led by an instructor, will take priority over individual users).
- You may need to pre-book for boxing and kettlebell classes.
- Junior members under the age of 14 may not use the kettlebells or boxing equipment. 14-15 year olds may only use this equipment under the supervision of their parent/legal guardian or if participating in a programme supervised by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
- Court bookings are for 45-minute sessions only. So give it your all while you’re there.
- One session per member at peak times. Keen beans can still play every day if they want to.
- Bookings are recorded on the booking sheet at Club Reception or via our website www.virginactive.co.za. Bookings can be made up to two weeks in advance. Only same-day telephone bookings are allowed.
- If you need to cancel (we won’t ask why), please tell the Club no less than one hour prior to your booking.
- If you do not arrive within 10 minutes of your booked court time, then the court will be up for grabs to other members.
- Yes, appropriate squash shoes with non-marking soles must be worn on the courts.
- Junior members under the age of 14 may only use the squash courts during off peak times and if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
- BEWARE: the Club does not provide lifeguard supervision.
- Junior members under the age of 14 years must be accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) at all times.
- The pool area is slippery when wet, so please be careful when entering.
- Some swim etiquette: please shower before entering the pool, wear a swimming costume, wear a swimming cap (unless you are bald) and observe any swimming direction displayed in the pool area. When sharing a lane please swim in a clockwise direction.
- It may sound boring but please do not jump or dive into the swimming pool or run around it.
- We do not permit or endorse any form of hypoxic training (a swimming programme involving limited breathing).
- You may not use the pool if you have a communicable disease.
- Please do not use balls, floats or inflatables other than those provided by the Club.
- Babies and toddlers must wear aqua nappies or specifically designed baby swim trunks.
- Babies, toddlers and children who cannot swim should wear flotation devices.
- Swimming pool lanes may be reserved from time to time for swim schools. Please check the notice board for details.
- The leisure pool or swimming pool lanes may be reserved from time to time for splash classes. Please check the group exercise timetable for details.
Sauna, steam room, spa bath and aqua lounge
- If you are elderly or pregnant or suffer from heart disease, diabetes or high or low blood pressure or any other serious medical condition you are advised not to use the sauna, steam room, spa bath or aqua lounge.
- Junior members under the age of 14 years may not use the sauna or steam room and junior members under the age of 16 may not use the spa bath and aqua lounge.
- shower before entering the sauna, steam room, spa bath or aqua lounge;
- sit on a towel when using the sauna and steam room and when using the deck chairs around the spa bath or in the aqua lounge;
- do not bring any electronic equipment into these areas;
- observe a reasonable time limit in the sauna and steam room - three to ten minutes or until perspiration begins is recommended - after which you should shower and cool down, and if you wish, return for another brief stay;
- do not use the aqua lounge for longer than one hour per day;
- do not use oils, creams or cosmetic products;
- do not shave or exfoliate;
- do not dry clothing or towels in the sauna (it’s a serious fire hazard);
- do not pour any oils over the hot rock unit or touch the sauna hot rock unit (it’s very hot and can cause serious injury).
- be aware that surfaces may be slippery.
- No flashing. Please wear a swimming costume in unisex areas.
- For your safety CCTV cameras have been installed in the aqua lounge and emergency buttons are placed in near proximity to the sauna, steam room and aqua lounge.
- The sauna and steam room may be closed for a brief period during the day to facilitate cleaning.
- Sunbeds can be booked at the Club Reception or via our website www.virginactive.co.za.
- Please read the warnings and observe the guidelines displayed in writing in the sunbed rooms and consult a doctor prior to use if you have any concerns.
- The exposure to UVA radiation (as emitted by sunbeds) may predispose you to UVB damage, which may be linked to the development of skin cancer.
- Sunbeds may only be used by members over the age of 18 years.
- If this is your year and you’re interested in signing up for a Personal Trainer, you will find all the details of our authorised trainers on the display board. You can contact them directly, or ask at Reception and we will gladly hook you up with someone.
- Only authorised Virgin Active Personal Trainers are permitted to provide personal training in our Clubs. Personal training by another member is not allowed whether it’s for payment or not. If we find someone providing unauthorised personal training, our Club Manager will investigate and you and the trainer may be expelled or suspended.
- Our Personal Trainers work for themselves and all payment for services is between you as the client and the Personal Trainer. Please ensure that you sign an agreement with your Personal Trainer and obtain a receipt every time you purchase sessions.
- Please do not mess with fire doors or tamper with any safety devices.
- Please follow the health and safety notices displayed throughout the Club.
- Please take note of the emergency procedures. If there is an emergency, please follow the staff’s instructions at all times.
- When using staircases, hold the handrails at all times and proceed with caution.
- Please do not run in the Club. Be aware of the different floor surfaces that you move across as you walk through the Club. As on-going cleaning and maintenance will be taking place, related tools and equipment may be hazardous, and some floor surfaces may be wet and therefore slippery. Proceed with caution in these areas.
- Please report all injuries/incidents and/or any hazards that you spot to a staff member.
These are the Rules that apply specifically to junior members
- Until they reach the age of 18 years, junior members will have complimentary access to the Club, provided that they are added as a dependant onto their parent(s)’ membership and their parent(s) are members in good standing and payments are current. The membership type of a junior member will be the same as that of their parent(s). Access to the Club does not include access to Club-V and Club-V Max facilities, which requires a separate membership.
- Junior members under the age of 14 years must always be accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) when accessing the Club and at all times while in the Club. If the junior member is participating in a programme or class on the gym floor which is led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional, the parent/legal guardian does not need to accompany or supervise their child but the parent/legal guardian must remain in the club.
- Junior members under the age of 8 years may not use any equipment in the Club.
- Adult members take preference over junior members at all times with regards to the use of all equipment and facilities.
Junior Care/Club-V/Club-V Max
- Junior Care is provided at certain Clubs to junior members from 6 weeks old up to and including the age of 7 years.
- Club-V is available at certain Clubs to junior members from 6 weeks old up to and including the age of 7 years, provided they are Club-V members.
- Club-V Max is available at certain Clubs to junior members from 6 weeks old up to and including the age of 13 years provided they are Club-V Max members.
- Junior members may only use Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care for a maximum of two consecutive hours per day (unless signed into a Holiday Camp, which extends this time limit).
- At least one parent/legal guardian must remain in the club while their child/children is/are in Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care.
- Both junior member and parent/legal guardian must show their access cards when using Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care.
- Junior members using outdoor areas must wear a hat and sunscreen.
- The Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care operating hours are displayed within each Club and may vary.
- Junior members using Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care are required to observe the Club’s rules and will be required to complete a screening assessment before using the facilities.
- Parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be asked to remove their child from Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care if, in the opinion of our staff, the child is upset, ill, or disruptive.
Junior member age restrictions on equipment and facility usage
0 to 7 years
- May have access to Club-V Max, Club-V or Junior Care. Refer to conditions in points 120-129.
- May use the swimming pool/s if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
- May use the squash courts during off peak times if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
- May use the internet café computers if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
- May not be on the gym floor or use any equipment in the Club.
- May not participate in any Group Exercise/Mind Body/Indoor Cycling Studio classes, unless participating in age-appropriate classes being led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
- May not use the sauna, steam rooms, spa baths, aqua lounge or sunbeds.
- Junior members under the age of 3 years are permitted to accompany their parent/guardian into the changeroom of the opposite gender. From the age of 4 years children may only access their gender specific changeroom.
8 to 13 years:
- May have access to Club-V Max. Refer to conditions in points 120-129.
- May use the swimming pool(s) if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
- May use the internet café computers if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
- May use the squash courts during off peak times if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
- May use all cardio-vascular equipment except treadmills if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s). This cardio-vascular equipment may only be used outside of peak times and preference must always be given to adult members.
- May not be on the gym floor or use any equipment on the gym floor other than the cardio-vascular equipment (as specified in 142) or if participating in age-appropriate programmes/classes being led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
- May not participate in any Group Exercise/Mind Body/Indoor Cycling Studio classes unless participating in age-appropriate classes being led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
- May not use the sauna, steam room spa bath, aqua lounge or sunbeds.
14 to 15 years:
- May use the swimming pools, provided they can swim.
- May use the squash courts.
- May use the internet café computers.
- May use all cardio-vascular equipment.
- May use all the equipment on the gym floor if under the supervision of their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) or if participating in age-appropriate programmes/classes being led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional. The only equipment on the gym floor that may not be used by this age bracket is the power plate, which is limited to use from the age of 16 years only.
- May participate in any Group Exercise/Mind Body/Indoor Cycling Studio classes.
- May use the sauna and steam room but may not use the spa bath, aqua lounge or sunbeds.
16 to 17 years:
- May use all equipment and facilities within the Club, except the sunbeds, which are limited to members over the age of 18 years.
Last but not least
- Off-peak membership allows you to train between 08h00 and 16h00 on weekdays. You will not be allowed access to the Club before 08h00 and after 16h00. Access is unrestricted at weekends and public holidays. Students who have an off-peak membership may also access the club after 19h00 on week nights.
- Please contact your home Club or our Call Centre on 0860 200911 or log on to www.virginactive.co.za for further information.
- We reserve absolute discretion when approving membership applications.
- Complaints should be made directly to the Club General Manager, or in writing via the suggestion/comment boxes provided in the Clubs.
- Our right of admission remains reserved at all times.
That's it! Thank you and enjoy your workout.