See also: Classic Club Rules
The Rule Book
Before you spring into action, there are a few things we'd like to point out in the interests of your security, safety and overall health and to ensure you have a good time at our Clubs.
Everyone at Virgin Active must play by The Rule Book (“Rules”). The Rules aren't just any old rules - they're part of your official Virgin Active Contract and have been carefully prepared by our legal guys. So please take a moment to familiarise yourself with them.
Who should play by the Rules?
All members, guests, tenants, contractors, and visitors must play by the Rules. Individual Clubs may also display their own operational rules, with which you must also comply.
If you do not comply, we may ask you to leave the Club, deny you Club access or (if it's really serious) we may cancel your membership.
The odd change
We may change these Rules occasionally. But we'll be sure to let you know of any changes in advance by updating our website www.virginactive.co.za and by popping up a notice at your Club. Please keep an eye out for changes.
OUR FACILITIES ARE FOR THE USE OF OUR MEMBERS ONLY.
From the get-go
- All members must fill in a Health Screening Questionnaire before using our Club facilities for the first time. If you are found to be moderate risk or high risk we will ask you to give us a medical clearance certificate before we allow you access.
- Before you begin exercising, ensure you have fully completed our “Ignition” process, our in-house member induction programme.
- Just to be safe, please check with your healthcare provider before you start a new fitness programme. You should have a physical exam to see if you have any health risks.
- We recommend that you spend 10 minutes warming up your muscles before starting any type of exercise. If you jump straight in, you risk damaging your muscles or straining your heart.
- If you experience acute pain, dizziness, sudden headache or chest pain, stop exercising immediately and inform a staff member. You can hurt yourself if you ignore the pain.
- Please let us know if there are any changes in your medical condition.
General club use
- We know it might be hard to tear yourself away, but please leave the Club punctually at closing time. Opening and closing times are displayed at the Club entrance and may vary from Club to Club.
- Pets (other than guide dogs) are not permitted.
- Firearms or other weapons are not permitted.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on Club premises.
- You may not take any photographs or videos.
- You may not bring alcohol or drugs into our Clubs.
- You may not sell and/or market any product or service to other members while in our Clubs.
- You consent to us using your image if taken during photo shoots of Club facilities.
- The use of Virgin Active's logo for promotional, marketing or advertising means is prohibited.
- Our internet café computers are available for use by you subject to the terms and conditions of Virgin Active's Computer, Internet and Wifi Policy and Procedure for Members which can be found at www.virginactive.co.za/computer_usage. Under 14's should be supervised at all times. Priority is given to adults.
- An access card will be issued to you when you join.
- All members must have their photograph taken for the access card - so make sure you're looking good.
- Every time you enter our Clubs please show us your access card.
- Please report a lost or stolen card to your nearest Club and we'll organise a new one for you and charge you the replacement card fee.
- If you come to a Club without your access card you will be asked for ID. We only allow entry with your ID three consecutive times, after which a new access card will be issued to you at the going rate. You've been warned!
- No one else may use your access card. (Not even your twin brother or sister).
- We won't let you into our Clubs if your membership fees aren't up to date or if we have terminated or suspended your membership or you have frozen your membership.
If you bring a mate
- At our discretion, you may bring guests to train with you upon payment of the guest fee/redemption of a promotional voucher and completion of the Guest Register.
- All guests must play by the Rules.
- You must accompany your guests at all times, be responsible for their behaviour and make sure they play by the Rules.
- Listen-up. We take a zero tolerance approach towards the use, sale or endorsement of any form of illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs (including steroids) on Club premises or in the parking area.
- Any allegations, suspicions and/or evidence of infringement of this rule gives us the right to cancel or suspend your membership at our absolute discretion. No ifs or buts.
- You may not enter the Club or use the facilities whilst under the influence of alcohol, illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs or supplements (including steroids).
- You must not use foul, loud, offensive or abusive language (including, without limitation, discriminatory language based on an individual's race, ethnic or social origin, colour, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion or disability).
- You must not commit any acts of intimidation or threats, or use menacing behaviour towards other members, guests, visitors, tenants or members of staff.
- You must not physically or sexually abuse or harass, or use violent conduct towards other members, guests, visitors, tenants or members of staff.
- You must not commit any unhygienic or immoral act or acts which may cause distaste, revulsion or abhorrence to another member or member of staff.
- You will have to pay for any damage caused by you, your dependents and your guests while in the Club.
- Only one individual in a shower cubicle at any one time please (unless it's your own child under the age of 4).
What (not) to wear
- Suitable and appropriate exercise clothing must be worn at all times while exercising in a Club. T-shirts/vests (no bare chests please guys) and closed footwear (no slops) must be worn at all times (except in the wet areas).
- If you are unsure of what to wear, please ask a staff member.
- Parking is only for members and guests while using Club facilities.
- Please park in designated parking bays. If your car is not parked properly, it may be clamped and a fee charged for its release. Sorry guys.
- It goes without saying, but please do not leave valuables visible inside your vehicle and store your keys in a locked valuables locker.
- Just remember, all vehicles are parked and driven at your own risk. We do not accept responsibility for any loss, theft and/or damage to vehicles and/or valuables left in vehicles or any other mode of transport of members or their guests whilst on Club premises or in any parking area designated for use by members or their guests.
Locker and personal belongings
- Subject to availability, lockers are provided in the changing rooms to store your gear while you train and smaller valuables lockers are also provided for your wallet, keys, sunglasses, cell phone, etc. (Please bring your own padlocks and lock your locker.) We do not undertake that the use of a locker or valuables locker will guarantee that theft of or damage to your property will not occur. Please check that your personal insurance policy covers you for loss of personal effects. We do not accept responsibility for any loss or theft of money or loss or damage to personal property of members or their guests whether locked in a locker or otherwise.
- Do not leave your belongings unattended in the change rooms or anywhere else in the Club at any time and report any lost item immediately to a staff member.
- Lockers may only be used for keeping gym kits, toiletries and the clothing that you were wearing when you came to the Club. If we have reasonable grounds for thinking that a locker is being used for the storage of something else, we may open the locker and remove any offending items.
- Lockers are available for use only while you're in the Club. Any belongings left in a locker overnight, will be removed and donated to charity if they are not collected within 14 days.
- Any belongings so removed or left unattended will be available at lost property at your Club for 14 days. If you do not collect it within this time, we will donate it to charity.
Equipment and the training floor
- Please use the equipment for its intended purpose and follow the instructions provided. Do ask for help if you need it.
- Please inspect equipment before use and do not use the equipment if it appears damaged and/or inoperable or any component appears to be missing, worn and/or damaged. We need to know, so please report damaged equipment to a staff member.
- When using strength equipment be sure that the weight pin is completely inserted. Never pin the weight stack in an elevated position. (You'll soon find out why.) Inspect all cables, straps and other connections.
- Please do not use dumbbells or any other equipment, other than equipment specifically provided by the manufacturer, to incrementally increase weight resistance on strength equipment. If unsure, please ask for help from a staff member.
- Ensure that the belt has come to a complete stop before stepping onto a treadmill. Never jump off the treadmill while the belt is still moving - it could be nasty.
- Please be gentle. Handle weights and equipment with care and replace after use.
- While completing a circuit, be a sport and move with the timer and use the equipment in numerical order.
- Please observe the time limits if specified on equipment so that everyone gets the chance to use it.
- No food, drinks or bags are allowed on the training floor, with the exception of plastic water bottles and sports drinks.
- Please use a sweat towel at all times and wipe equipment after use.
Studio and floor classes
- Some classes may need to be pre-booked or may have maximum head-counts. Class timetables and instructors may change from time to time without notice too. Please check the Club notice boards for all the latest details.
- Please arrive a few minutes early for a class as you may not be allowed to join in if you are more than five minutes late. If you do arrive a few minutes late, please ensure you have warmed up.
- Please read and observe the guidelines displayed near the power plate equipment and consult a doctor if you are concerned about your health risks prior to using the equipment.
- Children under the age of 16 years may not use power plate.
- Power plate classes are offered and recommended, however you may use power plate at your own convenience.
- Please pre-book power plate classes at Reception.
- 50% of the cycles are available for pre-booking, up to one week in advance. Your place might be given to someone else if you are not checked in within five minutes prior to the start time, so it's important to arrive promptly.
- The remaining 50% will be available for bookings 30 minutes before the start of the class.
- You may book your bike online or in person at the Club Reception.
- Only one cycle may be booked per member.
- Once the class is fully booked, there will be a small waiting list available outside the studio.
- Court bookings are for 45-minute sessions only. So give it your all while you're there.
- One session per member at peak times. Keen beans can still play every day if they want to.
- Bookings are recorded on the booking sheet at Club Reception or via our website www.virginactive.co.za. Bookings can be made up to two weeks in advance. Only same day telephone bookings are allowed.
- If you need to cancel (we won't ask why), please tell the Club no less than one hour prior to your booking.
- If you do not arrive within 10 minutes of your booked court time, then the court will be up for grabs to other members.
- Yes, appropriate squash shoes with non-marking soles must be worn on the courts.
- If this is your year and you're interested in signing up for a Personal Trainer, you will find all the details of our authorised guys and gals on the display board. You can contact them directly, or ask at Reception and we will gladly hook you up with someone.
- Only authorised Virgin Active Personal Trainers are permitted to provide personal training in our Clubs. Personal training by another member is not allowed whether it's for payment or not. If we find someone providing unauthorised personal training, our Club Manager will investigate and you and the trainer may be expelled or suspended.
- Our Personal Trainers work for themselves and all payment for services is between you as the client, and the Personal Trainer. Please ensure that you sign an agreement with your Personal Trainer and obtain a receipt every time you purchase sessions.
Swimming pool and aqua lounge
- BEWARE: the Club does not provide lifeguard supervision.
- Children under the age of 14 years must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- The pool area is slippery when wet, so please be careful when entering.
- Some swim etiquette: please shower before entering the pool, wear a swimming cap (unless you are bald) and costume and observe any swimming direction displayed in the pool area. When sharing a lane please swim in a clockwise direction.
- It may sound boring but please do not jump or dive into the swimming pool or run around it.
- We do not permit or endorse any form of hypoxic training.
- You may not use the pool if you have a communicable disease.
- Please do not use balls, floats or inflatables other than those provided by the Club.
- Babies and toddlers must wear aqua nappies or specifically designed baby swim trunks.
- Swimming pool lanes may be reserved from time to time for swim schools. Please check the notice board for details.
- Please sit on a towel when using the deck chairs in the aqua lounge.
- Please do not bring any electronic equipment into the aqua lounge.
- We do not recommend that you use the aqua lounge for longer than one hour per day.
- Only children over 16 years may use the aqua lounge.
Sauna, steam room and spa bath
- Children under the age of 14 years may not use the sauna or steam room.
- If you are elderly or pregnant or suffer from heart disease, diabetes or high or low blood pressure or any other serious medical condition you are advised not to use the sauna or steam room.
- shower before entering the sauna, steam room or spa bath;
- sit on a towel when using the sauna or steam room;
- observe a reasonable time limit. Ten minutes or until perspiration begins is recommended - after which you should shower and cool down, and if you wish, return for another brief stay.
- never use oils, creams or cosmetic products in the sauna, steam room or spa baths;
- never shave or exfoliate;
- never dry clothing or towels in the sauna (it's a serious fire hazard);
- don't touch the sauna hot rock unit (it's very hot and can cause serious injury).
- No flashing. Please wear a swimming costume in unisex areas.
- Sunbeds can be booked at the Club Reception or via our website www.virginactive.co.za.
- Please read and observe the written guidelines displayed in the sunbed rooms and consult a doctor if you are unsure about safe levels of exposure for your own skin type.
- The exposure to UVA radiation (as emitted by sunbeds) may predispose you to UVB damage, which may be linked to the development of skin cancer.
- Sunbeds may only be used by members over the age of 18 years.
- Please do not mess with fire doors or tamper with any safety devices.
- Please follow the health and safety notices displayed throughout the Club.
- Please take note of the emergency procedures. If there is an emergency, please follow the staff's instructions at all times.
- When using staircases, hold the handrails at all times and proceed with caution.
- Please do not run in the Club. Be aware of the different floor surfaces that you move across as you walk through the Club. As on-going cleaning and maintenance will be taking place, related tools and equipment may be hazardous, and some floor surfaces may be wet and therefore slippery. Proceed with caution in these areas.
- Please report all injuries/incidents and/or any hazards that you spot to a staff member.
Listen up! These are the Rules that apply specifically to kids
- Until they reach the age of 18 years, junior members will have free access to the Club, provided that their parent(s) are members in good standing and payments are current. The membership type of a junior member will be the same as that of their parent(s). Access to the Club does not include access to Club-V and Club-V Max facilities, which require separate membership.
- Junior members under the age of 14 years must always be accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) when accessing the Club and at all times while in the Club, unless signed into Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care, or participating in a programme or class on the gym floor which is led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional or if using the cardio-vascular equipment (as specified in 114 below).
- Junior members under the age of eight years may not use any equipment in the Club.
- Adult members take preference over junior members at all times with regards to the use of all equipment and facilities.
Who qualifies for what?
- Junior Care is provided at certain Clubs to junior members from six weeks old up to and including the age of seven years.
- Club-V is available at certain Clubs to junior members from six weeks old up to and including the age of seven years provided they are Club-V members.
- Club-V Max is available at certain Clubs to junior members from six weeks old up to and including the age of 13 years provided they are Club-V Max members.
Parents, please behave too
- Junior members may only use Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care for a maximum of two consecutive hours per day.
- Both junior member and parent/legal guardian must show their access cards when using Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care.
- Junior members using Club-V outdoor areas must wear a hat and be wearing sunscreen.
- The Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care operating hours are displayed within each Club and may vary.
- Junior members using Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care are required to observe the Club's rules and will be required to complete a risk screening assessment before using the facilities.
- Parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be asked to remove their child from Club-V Max/Club-V if, in the opinion of our staff, the child is upset, ill, or disruptive.
- Parents may not stay in Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care facility longer than five minutes. A maximum of 10 minutes is permitted should they be settling a baby or child. Parents are not permitted to sit and watch TV or supervise any of the activities in these facilities.
JUNIOR MEMBER AGE RESTRICTIONS
4 years and older:
- Are not permitted to accompany their parent/guardian into the change room of the opposite gender.
8 - 13 years:
- May use all cardio-vascular equipment except treadmills if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s). This cardio-vascular equipment may only be used outside of peak times and preference must always be given to adult members.
- May participate in age-appropriate programmes and classes on the gym floor, if being led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
- May use the swimming pool if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
- May use the squash courts if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
- May not participate in any Group Exercise/Mind Body/V-Cycle Studio classes.
- Children under 14 years old may not use the sauna, steam baths or spa.
- Are not allowed on the gym floor, except when using the permitted cardio-vascular equipment or if participating in an age-appropriate programme or class lead by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
Between 14 and 15 years:
- May use all cardio-vascular equipment.
- May use all the strength equipment on the gym floor but only under the supervision of the parent/legal guardian or if participating in a programme supervised by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional. The only equipment that may not be used by this age bracket is power plate, which is limited to use from the age of 16 years only.
16 years and older:
- Have access to all equipment and facilities within the Club, except the sunbeds which are limited to members over the age of 18 years.
Last but not least
- Off-peak membership allows you to train between 08h00 and 16h00 on weekdays. You will not be allowed access to the Club before 08h00 and after 16h00. Access is unrestricted at weekends and public holidays.
- Please contact your home Club or our Call Centre on 0860 200911 or log on to www.virginactive.co.za if you would like further details of the different membership types.
- We reserve absolute discretion when approving membership applications.
- Complaints should be made to the Club General Manager, or in writing through the suggestions/comments boxes provided in the Clubs.
That's it! Thank you and enjoy your workout.